Whenever I get coffee from Starbucks, I have to have the lemon cake slice also. It’s so soft and fluffy and delicious that I just can’t resist it when it’s right in front of me. So it made sense that I figure out the recipe and make it myself at home and here is the recipe.
|Preparation Time: 90 minutes
|Servings: 10 slices
|All Purpose Flour
|Of 1 lemon
- Take a baking dish and grease it lightly with butter. Now add 2 tbsp of all purpose flour and rotate in the dish till it’s fully coated with a thin layer of flour. Pat off the extra flour.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Keep aside.
- Beat the butter till it changes color and becomes light and fluffy – about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add sugar and again beat till it’s light and fluffy – about 2 minutes.
- Grate the lemon skin and add 3 tbsp pf lemon juice to the bowl.
- Add the eggs one by one beating in between till it’s light and fluffy.
- Now slowly add flour and milk to the bowl, alternating between the two and keep mixing.
- Once the flour and milk are finished, put away the mixer and fold the batter using a spatula till all the dry flour is mixed.
- Pour the batter in the baking dish and bake it for about 60 minutes at 350 degree Fahrenheit in a preheated oven.
- Perform the prick test – stick a wooden prick in the middle of the cake and remove it quickly. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If it has wet batter on it, bake it for another 5 minutes or so and test again.
- Once it passes the prick test, take out the lemon cake and let it cool in the pan.
- While it’s cooling down, mix confectioner sugar with the remaining lemon juice and make a drizzling consistency syrup. Add more juice if it’s too thick.
- When lemon cake is cold, drizzle the sugar syrup on top and let it set for a few hours.
- Lemon cake is ready to serve. Always warm it a bit before serving.
- For best results butter and eggs should be at room temperature.
- If the butter is salted, don’t add extra salt.
- If the lemon is fresh and firm it zests easily and the juice is more flavorful.