Neembu Ka Achaar (Spicy Lime Pickle) is a very easy pickle to make and perhaps the most common pickle made at home. You can eat it with khichadi or upma or mathri or with just about any Indian food.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Red Chilli Powder||30 gm|
|Garam Masala||2 tsp|
|Methi (fenugreek seeds)||2 tsp|
|Heeng (asafoetida powder)||1/2 tsp|
- Remove any stems from lime. Wash and dry them. It’s important for the lime to be completely dry otherwise it will go bad quickly.
- Chop each lime in about 16 pieces.
- Add all the spices to the lime pieces in a bowl.
- Mix lime pieces (along with its juice) and all the spices.
- Store it in a sterile jar and keep it in a sunny place for about three weeks. Toss it a bit every once in a while.
- The lime peel will be soft in three weeks and then Neembu Ka Achaar (Spicy Lime Pickle) will be ready to eat.
- It can be stored in pantry for years. It can be used with any Indian dishes but it specially goes well with Khichdi.
- When choosing lime, pick the limes which have thin shell. They are juicier and the thin shell softens easily.
- You can buy lime pickle from the market but nothing can beat the homemade pickle. The best part is that you can vary the spices as per your liking and it’s so easy to make.