Aam Ki Meethi Chutney or Aam Ka Chunda is a sweet and sour pickle, which can be used as a spread on bread or can be had as pickle with an Indian meal etc. When I am travelling, I love to keep a small bottle with me and use it as spread on bread when I have nothing else to eat.
|2 cups grated
|Brown or White Sugar or Jaggery
|Red Chilli Powder
- Wash, peel and grate mangoes coarsely.
- Heat a wok and add everything in it. Mix and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Check for one thread consistency. Here is how – take a spoonful of mixture and cool it for a few seconds. Touch it with your index finger so that finger has some chutney on it. Now touch the index finger with the thumb of the same hand over the chutney. Slowly separate them. If you see a thread of sugar forming between the finger and the thumb, the chutney is ready. Try this a few times. If no thread is forming, cook it a little more.
- Cool it down and store it in a clean wide mouth bottle. Unlike other pickles, Aam Ki Meethi Chutney or Aam Ka Chunda is ready to eat immediately. This can stay for years, that is if you don’t finish it before ;-).
- This goes extremely well with stuffed paranthas. Just serve chutney with parantha and you don’t need anything else.
- I often use it as a spread on a bread slice. Makes a yummy sandwich to go.