Tamale is a Mexican dish. Most of the times, you don’t get vegetable Tamales in restaurants. Since I am a vegetarian, I tried this recipe and I must say it came out wonderful.
|Preparation Time:||2.5 hours|
Ingredients for Dough
|Masa (Corn Flour + All Purpose Flour)||2 cups|
|Baking powder||2/3 tsp|
|Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Chilli Powder||1 tsp|
|Vegetable Broth||2 cups|
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||3 tbsp|
|Pickled Jalapeno||1/4 cup|
|Carrots||1 cup chopped|
|Zucchini or Squash||1|
|Red Onion||1/2 cup|
|Tomatoes||2 (1 cup chopped)|
|Spinach (optional)||15-20 leaves|
|Mushrooms||1 cup chopped|
|Lime Juice||1 tbsp|
|Cilantro||1/2 cup chopped|
|Olive Oil||1 tbsp|
|Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 tsp|
- Soak corn husks in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Put ancho chillies in a pan and pour enough water to just cover it. Bring it to a boil and then let it sit for 10 minutes until the chillies are soft and plump. Now mix all the ingredients of the sauce and blend into a smooth paste. Sauce is ready.
- To prepare the dough, mix all the dry ingredients of the dough in a bowl and then rub oil in it. Once it has bread crumb consistency, knead it with the vegetable broth. Keep it aside, covered.
- Chop zucchini, carrots, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, coriander leaves and keep aside.
- Grate garlic finely.
- Saute onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms together for a few minutes in 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, zucchini (or any other vegetables) and saute for a minute again. Add chopped cilantro, lime, cumin powder, chilli powder and mix well. Turn off the heat. Keep aside. Make sure that the vegetables are crisp and dry.
- Remove corn husks from the water and shake away the excess water.
- Spread about a ping pong ball sized dough on a corn husk.
- Spread a spoonful of sauce in the middle of the dough.
- Place a spoonful of vegetables on it. Place a couple of pickled jalapeno pieces on it. Pickled jalapeno makes it tangy and spicy. Top it with some cheese.
- Fold the husk to make a tight packet. You can even tie it with the thread if you like.
- Repeat the same procedure with rest of the dough.
- Now steam the corn packets for about 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, turn off the heat and remove the corn packets. Serve the whole packet while it’s hot. Vegetable Tamale is ready.
- You can use any vegetable in this or even skip the vegetables.
- If you don’t want to make the sauce, replace it with any Mexican hot sauce.
- You can also use banana leaves instead of corn husk.