Haryanvi Ma Ki Dal is made with whole Urad only. The Amritsari Ma Ki Dal contains rajma and chane ki dal. Learnt it from Northern Flavors by Chef Ajay Chopra. #SpreadTheFlavours
|Preparation time:||3 hours|
|Whole Urad||1 cup|
|Freshly pureed tomatoes||1 cup|
|Ginger||1 tbsp finely chopped|
|Garlic paste (optional)||2 tsp|
|Fresh coriander leaves||1/2 cup chopped|
|Unsalted Butter||1/4 cup|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Kasoori Methi||1/2 tsp|
- Pick the urad dal to make sure there is no dirt or stone in it. Wash it a few times.
- Peel and chop the ginger finely. Chop the green chillies.
- Cook dal in pressure cooker with 4 cups of water and salt. After the whistle, lower the heat. After 20 minutes turn off the heat. Wait for pressure to die and open the cooker.
- Add ginger and chillies and 2 more cups of water in the cooker and cook on low heat till the time dal is almost mashed up and becomes glossy.
- Now add pureed tomatoes, red chilli powder and butter. Cook for another 30 minutes or so.
- Keep on adding the water if it becomes too thick.
- Add cream, garam masala and crushed kasoori methi and mix. Don’t cook too much after adding the cream.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and Haryanvi Ma Ki Dal is ready to serve.
- Chef suggests 100 gm of butter and 50 gm of cream in 250 gm dal but use your discretion as per your health and lifestyle.