Shalgam/Turnip is a root vegetable, which is high in vitamin C. Shalgam (Turnip) Curry recipe calls for a lot of tomatoes and peas just like regular North Indian potato curry.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Shalgam (Turnip)||3 medium|
|Tomatoes (freshly pureed)||1/2 cup|
|Matar (shelled peas)||1 cup|
|Vegetable oil||1 tbsp|
|Jeera (cumin powder)||3/4 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||3/4 tsp|
|Dhaniya (coriander) powder||1 1/2 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric) powder||1/2 tsp|
|Garam masala||1/2 tsp|
- Wash and peel turnips. Cut them in one cm thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and saute.
- Add pureed tomatoes.
- Saute it till the oil start separating. Optionally you could also saute an onion with tomatoes. It gives a little volume to the gravy.
- Add shalgam (turnip) pieces, peas and salt.
- Mix everything.
- Add two cups of water. Close the cooker lid and let it cook.
- Once it starts whistling. Reduce the heat and let it cook for 8 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the cooker when steam dies down. Add garam masala and mix gently. Shalgam/Turnip is ready.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with Bhe (Lotus Roots) and Parantha.
- You may have to adjust the duration of the cooking depending on your pressure cooker and stove.
- Shalgam (turnip roots) are high in vitamin C (source: wikipedia).
- You can even use onions in the curry.
Based on 2 Review(s)