Nimona is a homely dish made in the eastern part of UP. The main ingredient is the peas and that’s why it’s generally made in winters, when peas are in abundance. Some may say that it’s just regular potatoes and peas curry but it’s not. It has more peas than potatoes so it tastes very different.
|Preparation Time:||40 minutes|
|Shelled Peas||2 cups|
|Ginger||2 inch piece|
|Jeera (Cumin Seeds)||1 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Haldi (Turmeric Powder)||1/2 tsp|
- Boil the shlled peas in pressure cooker for 2 minutes on low heat after the whistle. Take them out after the steam dies out and crush them a bit.
- Peel and dice potatoes in 1 inch cubes. Fry them in 1.5 tbsp of ghee till they are golden brown. Keep aside.
- Peel and chop onion, ginger and green chilli finely. Chop tomatoes finely. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee in the cooker. Add jeera seeds and wait till they crackle.
- Add ginger and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped onion and green chillies and fry till they are slightly translucent.
- Add all the spices and cook for a few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they become soft and mushy.
- Now add mashed green peas and fried potatoes. Add a little water also. Pressure cook them for 5 minutes on low heat after the whistle.
- Open the cooker when steam dies down. Nimona is ready to serve.
- This dish is neither runny nor dry. It’s somewhere in between.