Dum Aloo – Punjabi Style is a very popular curry prepared in every party or wedding in India. This one was prepared by the cook, Chandan at Ranikhet Grand Hotel, while we were their guests.
|Preparation Time: 15 minutes||Cooking Time: 30 minutes|
|Servings: 2||Difficulty: Medium|
|Melon Seeds||1 tbsp|
|Kasoori Methi||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1.5 tsp|
|Kitchen King Masala||1 tsp|
|Deghi Mirch (Chilli with more color and less spice)||1 tsp|
|Fresh Coriander Leaves||1/4 cup chopped|
|Vegetable Oil||To fry|
- Boil one onion in pressure cooker.
- Blend boiled onion, cashew and melon seeds with some water. Keep aside.
- Parboil potatoes in salted water in a pressure cooker.
- Peel them when they are cold enough to handle and deep fry them. Here we cut each potato in 2 pieces because they were too big.
- Peel and chop the second onion finely.
- Heat a table spoon of oil and fry chopped onion in it.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it and fry till they are soft.
- Sprinkle all the spices and fry a little.
- Add boiled onion mixture and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Cook for a few minutes and add yogurt.
- Add kasoori methi and fried potatoes.
- Cook for a few more minutes, garnish with coriander leaves and Dum Aloo is ready to serve.
- If you are using small potatoes, you can fry them whole.
- Here the cook used red color in the preparation but I prefer to avoid it. Instead use deghi mirch. Of course the color will not be as great but organic is always better.
- Another variation of Dum Aloo is Kashmiri Dum Aloo.