Pohe is made from pressed rice and it’s a very popular snack for breakfast in India. There are many variations of Pohe depending on the region but I like it with lots of vegetables and spices.
|Pohe (pressed rice):||2 cups|
|Onion chopped:||1 small|
|Potato peeled and chopped:||1 medium|
|Tomato chopped:||1 medium|
|Frozen green peas:||1.5 cups|
|Green chillies chopped:||3|
|Coriander leaves chopped:||1/2 cup|
|Mustard seeds:||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder:||1/4 tsp|
|Kari patta (optional):||10|
|Raisins (optional):||1 tbsp|
- Put pohe in a sieve and pour some water. Make sure all pohe are wet. Leave it aside to drain.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add mustard seeds. Wait till mustard seeds splutter. If you are new to this, cover it with a lid because seeds may pop out of the pan.
- Once the spluttering slows down, add onion, potato, green chillies and saute for five minutes.
- Add curry leaves, green peas and raisins and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Test that potatoes are soft. Now add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well so that turmeric is cooked.
- Add soaked pohe, fresh coriander leaves and tomatoes.
- Mix and cover the pan. Let it cook on slow heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well and Pohe are ready.
- Serve it hot.