Tinda is a summer vegetable, very light, very easy to digest. It can be chopped and made like regular vegetables or it can be stuffed. Here is how to make it stuffed tinda.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Tinda (Apple Gourd)||7-8 medium|
|Vegetable oil||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||3/4 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||3/4 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 1/2 tsp|
|Dried Mango Powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||3/4 tsp|
- Wash tinda and peel it.
- Carefully make two perpendicular cuts in each tinda starting from top. Make sure they don’t go all the way through. Basically tinda still should stay in one piece. These slits are to fill the spices
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Gently open up a slit, fill it with a thin layer of spice mixture. Now do the same with the other slit. Repeat with other pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Carefully place all tindas in the cooker with slit side up. Add about 1/2 cup of water so that there is a thin layer of water at the bottom. Close the cooker and cook till it starts to whistle. Turn off the heat on first whistle.
- Open the pressure cooker when steam dies down.
- Cook it over medium heat till the water completely dries out. Turn tindas gently without breaking them. Stuffed Tindas are ready.
- Serve Stuffed Tindas hot with Dhuli Masoor Dal, Raita and Roti.
- Be gentle when drying out the water in cooker. You don’t want to break tindas but it’s okay if they break a little. They still taste good.
- It takes a little practice to fill these up but be gentle and be patient.
- This is not a very popular Indian vegetable. It has a very simple taste and that’s why you will never find this in restaurants.