Whole Bengal gram or kala chana is a variety of chana that is used in many cuisines all over the world but it is most popular in India. Kale Chane Aloo Ki Curry is one of the many ways that you can prepare this nutritious pulse.
|Preparation Time:||90 minutes|
|Kale Chane (soaked overnight)||1 cup|
|Boiled potato||1 medium size|
|Curry gravy||1 cup|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Jeera (cumin) seeds||1 tsp|
|Whole coriander seeds||1 tbsp|
|Haldi (turmeric) powder||1/2 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Dhaniya or coriander powder||1.5 tsp|
|Heeng (asafoetida)||A big pinch|
|Amchur (dried mango powder)||1 tsp|
|Chat masala||1/2 tsp|
|Kasoori methi||2 tbsp|
|Kitchen King masala||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander leaves||1/4 cup|
- Soak kale chane overnight.
- Cook chane in pressure cooker with 4 cups of water, and salt.
- Once the cooker starts whistling, reduce the heat and let it cook for 60 minutes.
- Peel and grate ginger finely. Chop green chilies and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin and coriander seeds. Saute till cumin seeds puff up.
- Add grated ginger and green chilies. Fry for a couple of minutes on medium heat.
- Add all the spices except garam masala and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Now add gravy curry and simmer on low heat till oil start to shine.
- Open the pressure cooker after the steam dies completely. Chane should be fairly soft. If not, cook some more.
- Add boiled chane with all the water and potato cut in small pieces. Turn up the heat and once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add more water if the gravy is too thick. Adjust the spices. Turn off the heat and add garam masala and mix. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Kale Chane Aloo Curry is ready to serve.
- Don’t try to boil chane if they are not soaked for at least 8-10 hours. It will take a long time to make them soft.
- You may have to fine tune the duration of pressure cooking because it depends on your pressure cooker. Basically chane should be pretty soft after they are cooked.