Neemboo Ka Khatta Meetha Achar (Lime Pickle) is a sweet and spicy pickle very commonly made in Indian homes. It’s one of those pickles that can be eaten just like that because it is not very sour or spicy.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes (takes about 3 weeks to be ready)|
|Neembo (lime)||500 gm|
|Red Chilli Powder||30 gm|
|Garam Masala||2 tsp|
|Methi (fenugreek seeds)||2 tsp|
|Heeng (asafoetida powder)||1/2 tsp|
- Remove any stems from lime. Wash and dry them. It’s important for the lime to be completely dry otherwise it will go bad quickly.
- Chop each lime in about 16 pieces.
- Add all the spices except sugar in the lime pieces.
- Mix lime pieces (along with its juice) and all the spices.
- Store it in a sterile jar and keep it in a sunny place for about two weeks. Toss it a bit every once in a while. Use a big enough jar which has space for sugar to be added later.
- The lime peel will be soft in two weeks.
- Add sugar to the jar and leave it in a sunny place for another week. Toss every once in a while. Neemboo Ka Khatta Meetha Achar (Lime Pickle) is ready to eat.
- It can be stored in pantry for years. It can be used with any Indian dishes but it specially goes well with Khichdi.
- When choosing lime, pick the limes which have thin shell. They are more juicy and the thin shell softens easily.
- You can buy lime pickle from the market but nothing can beat the homemade pickle. The best part is that you can vary the spices as per your liking and it’s so easy to make.