We all know the medicinal benefits of Anwala/Amla/Gooseberry. Its regular use improves ones immunity. Since it’s not available all year round, we preserve it in many different ways like making a pickle or a candy or murabba. This recipe is for making dry Anwala/Amla/Gooseberry Candy, which makes it easy to consume it all year long.
|Preparation time:||3-4 days|
|White Sugar||1/2 Kg|
|Turmeric powder (haldi) (optional)||1/2 tsp|
- Wash anwala/amla/gooseberry thoroughly to remove all the dirt.
- Pressure cook it with very little water and haldi for one whistle.
- Open the cooker when steam dies down.
- Once it is cool enough to handle, strain the anwala but save the water. Open each anwala pod. They pretty much open themselves. Separate out all the wedges and discard the seeds.
- Boil sugar with 1 cup of water till it starts to solidify. Turn off the heat.
- Mix the anwala wedges in sugar syrup. Sugar will start to crystallize. Keep on mixing.
- After some time anwala will start to leave water. Let it soak in it for 3 days.
- After 3 days, strain all the juice and dry out the anwala pieces in sun. Mix the juice with previously saved water and save in refrigerator. Consume it as a drink as required.
- Once the pieces are completely dry, store them in a jar to be used all year long. Anwala/Amla/Gooseberry Candy is ready
- If you want to make the Anwala/Amla/Gooseberry Candy a bit spicy, add chaat masala, red chilli powder and salt to the mixture while it is soaking in the syrup.