In most Indian fasts, you are allowed to consume very limited number of vegetables and spices. Fortunately potatoes are one of those. Vrat Wali Aloo Ki Sabji is a very simple curry made of potatoes and it tastes heavenly.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Boiled potatoes (aloo)||8 Medium|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tbsp|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||1 tsp|
|Coriander (dhania) powder (optional)||1 tbsp|
|Fresh coriander leaves||1/4 cup|
|Rock Salt||1.25 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Fresh lime (neemboo)||1/2|
- Peel the potatoes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and add jeera. Fry till they crackle and then add coriander powder. Fry for a few seconds.
- Break each potato in your palm and add to the wok. Add chopped green chillies and garam masala.
- Pour about 4 cups of water and salt. Once the water starts to boil, lower the heat and let it cook covered.
- Gravy will thicken after some time. Adjust the water as per your choice. Once you are satisfied with the thickness of the gravy, turn off the heat. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and lime juice and and Vrat Wali Aloo Ki Sabji is ready to serve.
- You can add other spices if they are permitted in your fast.
- Adding a few drops of lemon juice brings up the taste of the curry.