Chinese Bread with Sesame Seeds & Scallions is a great accompaniment to any Chinese food. This is a Muslim Chinese preparation and not available in all Chinese restaurants. Interesting thing is that unlike other breads, it is cooked on the stove.
|Preparation time||3 hours 30 minutes|
|All purpose flour||1.25 cups|
|Olive oil||2.5 tsp|
|Sesame seeds||2 tbsp|
|Green onions or scallions||1 cup chopped|
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, yeast and 1/2 tsp oil.
- Knead it with lukewarm water into a soft dough. Knead it for 10 minutes to make a silky smooth dough.
- Roll it in a little oil and let it rest covered, for about 2 hours. The dough will double in size.
- Spread the dough in a 10 inch diameter. Spread the cut green onions on the dough and roll the dough into a cylinder. Roll the cylinder lengthwise to make a spiral ball.
- Flatten the ball again into a 10 inch diameter disc. Sprinkle sesame seeds on both sides evenly and press them to get stuck to the dough. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and gently place the dough in the wok and let it cook on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes. The dough will puff up.
- Once the bottom part is brown, gently flip it and brown the other side also. Choose a pan which is about the size of the dough so that the sides touch the wall of the pan and get cooked.
- Once the bread is brown from both sides, take it out and let it cool down for 10 minutes before cutting. Cutting the bread immediately mashes the bread a little.
- Cut it in any shape you like and enjoy with hot garlic chilli sauce.