Baingan Bhaja or Begun Bhaja is a Bengali preparation with minimum spices. It tastes great and looks great too.
|Preparation time:||60 minutes|
|Big eggplant or baingan||1|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1/2 tsp|
|Dried mango powder or amchur||1/2 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Rice flour||2 tbsp|
|Poppy seeds||1 tsp|
|Mustard oil||3 tbsp|
- Get an eggplant, which does not have seeds. Check if it feels heavy for its size, if it does, it may have seeds. Get the one which feels light for its size. Cut 3/4 centimeter thick roundels and immerse them in water with 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of turmeric for 30 minutes.
- Mix 1/2 tsp of salt, chilli powder, dried mango powder and garam masala and keep aside.
- Take out the roundels from water and rub the spice mixture on them on both sides. Let them marinate in spices for about 30 minutes.
- Mix 1/4 tsp of salt in the rice flour and sprinkle on the roundels. Sprinkle a bit of poppy seeds too.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry the roundels. When one side browns, flip them to brown the other side too. They should get dark brown spots all over. Baingan Bhaja is ready to serve.