Aloo Papad are not easily available in the market so it makes perfect sense to make them at home using this quick recipe.
|Cooking time:||15 minutes|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Vegetable oil||2 tbsp|
- Boil potatoes till they are soft. In pressure cooker, it takes about 7 minutes on low heat after the first whistle.
- Peel and grate potatoes finely. In the picture below I grated them coarsely but then the papads were not that thin. So make sure to mash or grate potatoes very fine. There should be no lumps.
- Add salt and chilli powder and mix properly.
- Spread a big clean sheet of plastic in the sun. Hold the corners using some heavy objects. This is where we will leave the papads for drying.
- Prepare two pieces of heavy plastic for rolling the papads. I used a ziplock bag by cutting it on all sides. Oil them.
- Oil your hands. Make a small walnut size ball of potato mixture. Put it between the oiled sides of the ziplock sheets.
- Gently spread the ball using your fingers like roti. Make it as thin as possible.
- Gently remove the top ziplock sheet and invert it on the big plastic sheet in the sun. Gently pat on the back of the ziplock so that papad gets stuck on the big sheet. Now slowly remove the other ziplock sheet also.
- Repeat with rest of the potato mixture. Oil as required.
- Leave the papads out in sun for 5-6 hours. On a hot summer day, papads should be dry in 5-6 hours.
- Gently separate the papads from the sheet and stack in a box.
- To prepare papad for eating, heat it in microwave for about 1-2 minutes depending on your microwave. Wait for a couple of minutes for it to become crisp. Alternatively you can also fry it.
- Remove the papads from the sheet while they are still a little moist. Stack them on a paper towel and place under some light weight so that they don’t curl up. It’s easy to store them that way. Just make sure that they are not too moist otherwise they will stick to each other and break.
- Traditionally no other spices are added to papads but you can experiment with any dry herbs of your choice.