Namkeen Jave is a very homely snack. Since the jave are made of whole wheat flour, it’s pretty healthy too and that makes it a perfect candidate for breakfast.
|Preparation Time:||40 minutes|
|Jave (handmade vermicelli)||1 cup|
|Chopped red onion||1 cup|
|Chopped potatoes||1 cup|
|Frozen peas||1/2 cup|
|Chopped coriander leaves||1/4 cup|
|Chopped green chilli (optional)||1|
|Carom seeds||3/4 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1/4 tsp|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 tbsp|
- Dry roast jave till they are light brown (see pictures below). Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add carom seeds. Wait till they puff up.
- Add onion and potato pieces.
- Saute till onions are translucent and potatoes start to brown (about 5 minutes). Add peas. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add jave, salt, red chilli powder, green chillies and 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Mix well. Reduce heat, Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook till all the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes). Turn off the heat.
- Add lemon juice and mix. Garnish with tomatoes and coriander leaves and serve hot.
- If you don’t have handmade vermicelli, replace it with machine made vermicelli.
- You can also use frozen corn kernels in this recipe.
- This is a good snack for children’s tiffin. They love the vermicelli. Try to use whole wheat vermicelli though. Homemade vermicelli is mostly made of whole wheat.